Now that spring is well and truly here and the sun is gracing us with its presence more often, it might literally be shining light on the dirt and grime on your windows. Enter, a good ol’ spring clean. After all, it is that time of year. Giving our homes the much needed TLC they need to prepare for the new spring season, we know the list can sometimes be endless and a little overwhelming, but we are here to make it a little easier and talk you through all things window care. Where better to start than the outside of your home, it is what people see first, after all!
What is spring cleaning and why is it so popular?
Spring cleaning encourages you to participate in a thorough domestic clean of your entire home and delve into parts of the home that often get overlooked or not cleaned on a regular basis. Unfortunately, window care often falls into this category, and here at The Residence Collection, we’re keen to tell you why a good window clean shouldn’t be forgotten.
During the colder seasons, cleaning trends tell us that we all become a little less motivated – after all, the dark gloomy weather can have that effect. Luckily, as spring approaches and there’s an increase in sunlight and warmer weather, the longer days motivate us to be more active and productive – resulting in a thorough clean of our homes.
Why window care is important
So, now that getting outside and cleaning your windows seems less of a daunting task, it’s time to get your cleaning materials at the ready and improve your curb appeal.. One very important reason to keep them clean is to retain your windows’ premium finish – built up grit and grime, paired with hazy glass, does not give the best first impression of your home, especially when the spring sun is shining directly onto them.
With the sun shining through, clean glass can provide the inside of your home with greater, much needed natural sunlight to lift our spirits. In addition to a sparkling appearance, window care also prevents long term damage and ensures your windows continue to operate smoothly, ultimately increasing the lifespan of your windows.
Our guide on cleaning your windows
What not to do:
Before we give you the how-to’s, it’s important to talk through what not to do. There’s a few common mistakes made when cleaning windows, but we’re here to make sure these don’t occur this time.
The first, and most important tip is to remove all jewellery before cleaning your windows. Wearing jewellery can result in scratched glass, a mistake that is irreversible. Secondly, using an unclean rag to dry your windows can result in them looking dirtier than before you started, making your hard work pointless. Make sure the rag is clean and unused for that perfect clean window shine.
Lastly, many spray their cleaner directly on dirt and dust, resulting in the dirt being smeared around, creating more mess rather than eliminating it. Before you get started, sweep away any dirt from the window frame with a dry cloth or remove with a vacuum.
Now onto the how-to’s:
Sash, frame and cills
- We recommend using warm soapy water (your usual soap detergent should do) with a soft cloth that isn’t harsh or abrasive.
- Simply wipe with the warm water.
- Dry with a clean, dry, soft cloth.
- Toxic paints, primers, preservatives or fungicides are not needed to keep your windows looking fresh.
- For the best finish use a household window cleaner and soft cloth.
- Make sure the cloth is free of stones or debris to prevent scratching the glass.
- The best way to keep it streak free is to use a squeegee, it’s fast and leaves glass super clear.
- Wash from top to bottom to avoid drips.
- Bonus tip – wash windows on a cloudy day. The sun can prematurely dry windows adding streaks.
- In case you didn’t know, rebates are the inner cut out ‘lip’ of a frame in which the window sash sits.
- Our windows are intelligently designed with an ‘Easy-Clean’ frame rebate.
- Simply open your windows and wipe clean, no sharp corners or deep grooves attracting dirt.
- To activate ‘Easy Clean’ mode push both black slide buttons (top and bottom) towards the corner and slide the sash away from the corner.
- To ensure optimum performance, hinges, locking mechanisms and handles will require periodic lubrication.
- One drop of a light machine oil (e.g WD40/3-in-1 oil) is plenty, wipe away any excess.
- Be careful to not get any oil on the main profile.
- Wipe clean tracks for hinges to keep them dirt free and moving freely.
Clean, gleaming windows will breathe new life into your home after a long winter season. Whether you’re doing your annual spring clean or a weekly deep clean, we hope our simple and easy guide will motivate you to tackle the important task of cleaning your windows. Our windows offer a premium finish in a wide range of colours and are long lasting and easy to clean when following our guide.
At Residence Collection, we have a range of colours available and can offer everything from timeless classics like Grained White to modern favourites such as Eclectic Grey. Don’t forget, we also offer a dual finish that allows you to find windows and doors that look as good from the inside as they do outside.